[Dixielandjazz] B;ivets ain't the only thing!

lswain at penrose.com lswain at penrose.com
Tue Sep 23 12:26:28 PDT 2003

On 23 Sep 2003 at 11:11, willc wrote:

> It is astonishing that this thread has run so long without
> acknowledgment of the blivet companion and occasional synonym, the
> kludge (klooge in Alabama).

The reason may be that "kludge" (or "kluge"), a word we often used at
the lab at MIT in the 60's, is not really synonymous with "blivet".
Terse definition of "kludge" is at

	http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/K/kludge.html

which declares:

    kludge:

    Pronounced klooj. A derogatory term that refers to a poor design.
    Like hacks, kludges use nonstandard techniques. But, whereas a hack
    can connote a clever solution to a problem, a kludge always implies
    that the solution is inelegant.

Larry (don't know why I don't just leave these things alone) Swain

L. R. Swain
Penrose, Inc.

LSWAIN at penrose.com
http://www.Penrose.com