[Dixielandjazz] Re: Great praise for "blivet!"

Bill Haesler bhaesler at nsw.bigpond.net.au
Tue Sep 23 09:31:52 PDT 2003

Dear Andy,
I have learnt not check up on the 'headmaster, Mister Gunter.
I only did so now because of your doubt.
He is hard to catch out, as you will soon see.
BG  1.
AL  0.
The word 'blivet' is (surprisingly) not in the definitive Australian Macquarie dictionary (3rd ed. 1997), but can be
found in The Cassell Dictionary Of Slang (Jonathon Green.1998).
Which says: blivet/blivit n. [1940s+] (US, orig. Aust. milit.)
1  something useless, unnecessary, annoying (popularly defined as '10 pounds of shit stuffed into a 5 pound bag').
2  a fat or unpleasant person or thing.
3  a distasteful job or situation (cf, trivet).
['the expression arose among American flyers in New Guinea and is of Australian origin' (RHDAS)]

Note the Oz connection!
Kind regards,
Bill.
PS: I know some jazz musicians who fit all 3 definitions.
Just kidding.      8>)