[Dixielandjazz] Great praise for "blivet!"

lswain at penrose.com lswain at penrose.com
Mon Sep 22 14:58:23 PDT 2003

On 22 Sep 2003 at 10:18, Andy.Ling at Quantel.Com wrote:

> I just had to look and it is in my New Shorter Oxford English,
> but it says :-
>
> blivit /"blIvIt/ n. US slang. Also -et.
> m20. [Origin unkn.]
>         Something pointless, useless, or impossible; a nuisance. Also,
>         a gadget.
>
> No mention of s--t

It's not in the on-line dictionary m-w.com, in any of its spellings
(blivet, blivit, blivot), but a search in google for that word will
assure you that there is s**t involved.  Plus, I've heard and seen
the term used since I was a mere tad, over 50 yrs ago, and it always
refers to 10 pounds of the stuff in a 5-pound bag.

(Somehow I think this is off-topic.)

Larry Swain

L. R. Swain
Penrose, Inc.