[Dixielandjazz] Re: Bb is the key of life

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Sat Sep 20 14:12:07 PDT 2003

Dick and others--
     Sure.  On the electronic keyboard i have, an octave is 6 3/8"
(6.375"). Multiply that by 53 to get 337.875", which is 28.15625 feet
(on the bass side of the piano).  Add another 28.15625 feet to the
right side, and you've got 56.3125 feet added to the existing length
of the piano's keyboard.  It is interesting to see that the total
length of the keyboard would be close to the distance from the
pitcher's rubber to home plate.
     This is the arithmetical solution to a musical problem, and as
such, of course, it makes no sense.  Ambrose Bierce in _The Devil's
Dictionary_ pointed out the logical fallacy of applying mathematics
to real-life situations in his definition of the word 'logic':

   "LOGIC, n.  The art of thinking and reasoning in strict
    accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the
    human misunderstanding.  The basic of logic is the
    syllogism, consisting of a major and a minor premise and
    a conclusion -- thus:
       _Major Premise_:  Sixty men can do a piece of work
                         sixty times as quickly as one man.
       _Minor Premise_:  One man can dig a posthole in sixty
                         seconds; therefore --
       _Conclusion_:     Sixty men can dig a posthole in one second.
    This may be called the syllogism arithmetical, in which, by
    combining logic and mathematics, we obtain a double certainty
    and are twice blessed."

Dan