[Dixielandjazz] Great Jazz in Chicago

Nancy Giffin nancyink at ulink.net
Fri Sep 19 15:21:35 PDT 2003

I've been asked to be more specific about where Russ P will perform:

Russ Phillips will be the guest artist for "Jazz Sunday,"
the STJS monthly meeting on
Sunday, Oct. 12th, from 12 noon to 5 p.m.
at the Dante Club: 2330 Fair Oaks Blvd., Sacramento, CA

Better? :)

What? MORE info? Okay:
Russ Phillips hails from Chicago, where he appears every Thursday evening at
Andy's Jazz Club. Born in Denver, Colorado, Russ' family settled in Chicago
after his father, Russ Sr. left Louis Armstrong¹s All Stars. He had joined
the band to replace Jack Teagarden in 1951, and for the next year and a
half, Russ and his parents traveled throughout the country with the All
Stars.  Carrying on in his father's footsteps, Russ has performed with the
likes of  Howard Alden, the Four Freshmen, Bob Haggart, Lionel Hampton,
Dick Hyman, Bucky Pizzarelli and Doc Severinsen, just to name a few.
Russ has been to our Sacramento Jazz Jubilee many times with Tom Saunders'
Midwest All-Stars, but this is his first Jazz Sunday appearance. Be sure to
take home a couple of his excellent CDs, the latest one featuring Bob Havens
and John Sheridan.