[Dixielandjazz] Re: Lock And Key MIDI

Bill Haesler bhaesler at nsw.bigpond.net.au
Fri Sep 19 20:49:55 PDT 2003

Dear John,
By Jove, you've done it again!
A fine rendition of "Lock and Key".
Our singer (Jane Bunch, who went back to the US 4 years ago) used to do it.
Carol Leigh has a great version with the Original Salty Dogs on a Jazz&Jazz LP.
Recorded, St Louis in June 1979. Produced in Australia.
Now on a 2CD Jazz&Jazz set BAC-08-2, 'Ragtime Festival'.
It is also one our pet, Judy Eames, could look at.
If she hasn't already done so.
BTW. I note that you have added "St Louis Blues No.2" to your list of midi's with the comment: This is my transcription
of an Albert Ammons performance, I¹m not sure of the date of the recording I used but it is probably 1939 or
thereabouts. By golly ­ what a piano player !!
Your transcription is based on the Ammons' Solo Art rendition recorded on 8 April 1939. (I just compared them).
It was the master recorded immediately  prior to Ammons' "Mecca Flat Blues", which is further up your great list.
Or have I already told you this?
Very kind regards,
Bill.