[Dixielandjazz] Starting a High School Dixieland Group

John Mumford john at jazzbanjo.com
Thu Sep 18 09:09:13 PDT 2003

Don,

The preferred banjo is a four string since it provides rhythm and chords for
the band.  High schools usually don't have a budget to buy a four string.
If that is the case you can take the 5th string off the five string since
the neck is the same scale as a plectrum.  I have found few high school
students that want to learn plectrum or tenor tuning so what usually happens
is that a guitar player will take the banjo position in the band and tune
the banjo to the first four strings of guitar tuning.  This works just as
well since there are a lot of guitar tuned banjos that have recorded with
jazz banjos over the years.  If you have a mandolin player in your school it
would be an easy transition for them to learn tenor banjo.  For learning
plectrum tuning a five string player has a similar tuning with the first
three strings the same with only the fourth string different.  Most five
string players tune it to D while plectrum players lower it to a C.

John Mumford
Jazz Banjo Magazine
Jazz Banjo Radio
http://www.jazzbanjo.com/