[Dixielandjazz] Starting a High School Dixieland Group

don kowallis donkowallis at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 17 14:24:00 PDT 2003

I am a music teacher in Canada that is eager to start a Dixieland band.  We
have a number of keen students that have played in our "traditional" jazz
ensembles but are looking at exploring the roots of these styles in a more
intensive setting.  I have two questions:  (1) Is there a preference
concerning the type of banjo used in most instrumentations (4-string or
5-string) - and- (2)  Can you recommend a resource for musical arrangements
(high school level players).  I would appreciate any assistance or advice
that you could provide!