[Dixielandjazz] METHODS of PIANO TUNING

Robert S. Ringwald ringwald at calweb.com
Tue Sep 16 01:22:40 PDT 2003

 Janie McCue Lynch janie51 at socal.rr.com asks:

> Question:
>
> Do those of you who play the piano prefer a manual "ear" tuning or the use
> of an electronic device for "perfect" accuracy? Or a combination of the
two?
>  And why?

Personally I don't care, as long as whomever tunes the piano does a good
job.

You can tune a piano really good but, if the tuner doesn't hit the keys
harder than what the player is gonna play, it will quickly go out of tune as
soon as it is played.  This is called "Setting the pins" & is very, very
important.

A good tuner can do just fine by ear.  And, I have also heard (played on)
pianos which were tuned with a strobe, that was good.

Another thing that a tuner should always do is take out the "Lost motion."
This is the lag time between playing the note & having the piano strike the
string.

Most of a piano is wood & felt.  Wood shrinks & felt deteriorates.  The lag
time "Lost motion" can usually be taken out by adjusting the capstan (screw)
at the opposite end of the key from where the ivory (plastic) is.

Why do you ask?

Bob
mr.wonderful at ringwald.com
Placerville, CA USA