[Dixielandjazz] Lock & Key

John Farrell stridepiano at tesco.net
Sun Sep 14 20:24:22 PDT 2003

Many thanks to all who responded to my request for the issue label and
composer of this tune. I now know from Hans Koert that the recording first
appeared on the Columbia label and several listmates have told me that
according to the Red Hot Jazz website the composers were Henry Creamer and
James P. Johnson.

Yesterday's mail brought a double CD which I had ordered from Jerry Brown
(thanks Jerry!) - Bill Wyman's Blues Odyssey (yes, he of The Rolling Stones
fame) - one of the tracks is Lock And Key. The credits state that the
composer is unidentified, hence my questions. If you are into early blues I
can heartily recommend this set - it is Wyman's selection of some recordings
which were influential in his musical development. In view of the kind of
thing peddled by the Stones some of his choices are surprising - Mamie
Smith, Bessie, Frankie "Half Pint" Jaxon, Meade Lux Lewis, Pete Johnson etc.
etc. - not one pop music item is included among the 42 on the album.

Many thanks for all your answers, they are much appreciated.

John Farrell