[Dixielandjazz] -ize and -ise

Don Ingle dingle at baldwin-net.com
Sun Sep 14 12:44:19 PDT 2003

Jim: Like most of us schooled in English in the States, you and I learned to
use "An" before a word beginning with an H. To quote you..."An high
level..."   Current usage is changing, and several newspaper style books say
that using "a high level...rather than AN before  "high level" is
acceptable. Trouble is, when you have been "Ear-Trained" to use the older
style, it looks wrong when you read it. According to one source, we can
blame the Cockney accent for this AN rather than A before a word beginning
with H. That too, was a puzzlement, since Cockney's tended to drop the H
before some words beginning with it, and add one to words without it. An
example quoted was -- "My hear 'urts so much I can 'ardly 'ear with it."
Sadly, the truth is that localisms are what give all languages their unique
flavor. For anyone who has yet to visit Michigan's Upper Peninsula, you will
love the Yooper speak. It is a mix of
Swedish/Finnish/Cornish/Scots-Canadian,French-Canadian, and New England
Yankee twang. The mix is pure fun to hear, though to the first-timer it may
be a mind-blower. "It's aboot time ta say ya to da U.P, y'betcha, eh."
Unfortunately, today's bland radio/tv announcer-speak is taking over and
many localisms in this country are being lost.  When we all begin to talk
like TV anchors from Keokuk, Iowa, all is lost.
Viva la difference...while it lasts.
Don Ingle