[Dixielandjazz] CDs - AAD vs ADD

Anton Crouch a.crouch at unsw.edu.au
Sun Sep 14 17:52:58 PDT 2003

Hello all

Snogpitch writes <I still get a bit upset when I see a CD that is AAD.
They might as well have cut a record.>

With respect, no, no, a thousand times no!

All transfers from analogue sources to CD are either AAD or ADD and the
common bias against AAD is due to a misunderstanding as to the meaning of
the A or D in the second position. A second D means only that the editing
was carried out in the digital domain. Many of the finest transfers from
78rpm (eg, those done by John R T Davies) are done using editing and noise
reduction in the analogue domain and are, hence, AAD. A well done AAD is
usually superior to a ADD in which the digital editing has been done by a
computer.

An AAD is usually superior to a cut record because there is no RIAA curve
to be compensated for, dynamic range is greater and there is no added
surface noise.

All the best
Anton