[Dixielandjazz] Info Wanted Pentastic, BC Jazz Festival

Len Nielsen lennielsen at telus.net
Sat Sep 13 23:16:07 PDT 2003

Hi Bob

The following is contact info:

Pentastic Jazz Festival Society
P.O.Box 20068
Penticton BC
V2A 8K3

Phone 250 770 DIXI (3494)
Fax   250 493 5556

Web site www.pentasticjazz.com

President Michael Campbell
VP        Ben Amos

The festival was just held on the past weekend and I had the opportunity
to say hello to Bob Williams (list mate) who appeared with Sister Swing,
together with Bonnie Otto(listmate), Otis Mourning and Dave Johnson. It
was good to see that part of Wooden Nickel together however briefly. I
missed meeting Bonnie though. I had hoped to get a DJML button from her
and will now have to wait for next year.

For those who are not familiar with the Province of British Columbia and
the Okanagan Valley this has been the driest year for some decades and
we have had some very serious forest fires this year. At the time of the
Pentastic Jazz Festival we had approximately 700 separate fires burning
  in BC. One of the largest was in the Kelowna area about 50 miles north
of Penticton. This fire stretched south to within about 15 miles from
Penticton and burned 245 homes as well as some 8 to 12 historic railroad
  trestles from the old Kettle Valley Railroad Line. The railroad has
been gone for many years but the trail has been used for multi
recreation purposes over the past years and means a large capital outlay
for rebuilding and loss of tourist revenue until such reconstruction is
completed.

There were smoky conditions in Penticton, daily, during the festival and
much activity with water bombers coming and going constantly.

Len Nielsen
Victoria BC