[Dixielandjazz] Mostly Self Taught Musicians

Stan Brager sbrager at socal.rr.com
Sat Sep 13 02:19:16 PDT 2003

Steve;

We seem to be splitting some fine hairs indeed. There is no doubt that
Benny's first years were spent under the tutelage of some fine teachers
especially Franz Schoep. With Schoep, Benny got a strong foundation for the
clarinet. He learned the classical clarinet technique. He played the
classical clarinet music and he performed classical duets. The foundation of
his playing stems from this time.

Certainly, he picked up jazz on his own - he had to - there were no jazz
classes. But, by this time, he had mastered the fundamentals. This also gave
him an edge when he left Ben Pollack's band to become a studio musician. He
was able to survive by his excellent reading abilities, his classical tone,
and his approach to the music.

It was these fundamentals which colored his music until the day he died.

For these reasons, I believe that he was truly a trained musician.

Furthermore, having a music degree or studying music at Berklee, Juilliard,
etc. indicates a trained musician. But when it comes to playing in the
philharmonic or being a studio musician, success is predicated on musical
ability and not a piece of paper.

Stan
Stan Brager