[Dixielandjazz] Mostly Self Taught Musicians

Don Ingle dingle at baldwin-net.com
Fri Sep 12 19:04:42 PDT 2003

Sorry Steve:
You're off  the mark on Red Nichols being self-taught. Red was, in fact,
highly taught and trained. His father was professor of music at Weber
College in Ogden UT - Red's sister was a cellist who played with the San
Francisco Symphony, and Red studied with teacher such as Max Schlossberg and
was one of the best working, club and studio, gigging recording musicians in
NY in the 1920's on the basis of his ability to walk in,sit down, and sight
read whatever pat was put in front of him. He even conducted scores as well
as wrote arrangements. He was conductor of the pit orchestra on one of
Gerschwin's musicals, Girl Crazy, and recorded so many sides with '20's NY
record companies that Rust almost ran out of paper and ink  trying to get
them all in his discography.
Red was my first teacher and my long-time mentor, and he was one of the most
proficient and capable musicians - jazz gig or studio -- there ever was.
No way self taught!
Don Ingle