[Dixielandjazz] Re: CDs that won't play

LeslieMRag at aol.com LeslieMRag at aol.com
Fri Sep 12 17:41:15 PDT 2003

Hi, Listmates:

Just an addendum to the discussion on unplayable CDs. Here at The Mississippi
Rag, we get many, many CDs, with some of them home-produced CD-Rs. We send
out all CDs to reviewers from here, and the commercially produced CDs are never
a problem but frequently the home-produced ones are and we end up not
reviewing them. One reviewer can play CD-Rs only on his computer, but, as he says, the
sound is not nearly as good as CDs played on his regular equipment, so he
doesn't feel comfortable writing reviews on that basis. The comments about old CD
players are well taken--but I can't in good conscience insist that reviewers
invest in new equipment when their old players work just fine in all other
respects. And, interestingly enough, an ancient boombox in the office plays most
CD-Rs just fine, so old equipment isn't always the problem.

Leslie Johnson
editor at mississippirag.com OR
lesliemrag at aol.com