[Dixielandjazz] messages about dixie jazz

John Russell hotjazz60 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 10 23:58:24 PDT 2003

Hello, my name is John Russell, from England.
 Since getting on mailing list I noticed the letters  # OKUM ## being mentioned frequently.  Can you tell me what that means as I only recently started collectiong Trad. Jazz c.d, most of my records are # modern  # caegory, like Lionel Hampton, whom in my opinion was the greatest vibraphone player in the world and one of very few men who have had a School of Music college named after him at Idaho University and has played for US presidents as well as many other government heads in other countries. I have seen him play twice in 1962 and 1992
Also I do like Milt Jackson (deceased ) and Peter Appleyard and Lars Erstrand from Sweden   plus many saxaphone players such as Ken Peplowski and Scott Hamilton etc.