[Dixielandjazz] Right Brain

Trumpetom at aol.com Trumpetom at aol.com
Wed Sep 10 21:52:01 PDT 2003

I'm not sure I agree with the theories. I have traumatic damage to my right
frontal lobe. There is still a large area of inactivity in that part of my
brain. I had to learn to talk, walk & write all over again. Short term memory is
still a major problem. I need a lead sheet in front of me most of the time
because I will forget what tune I am playing (even when I am actualy playing it).
Music reading has taken four years to come back to where it was; at first I
could not remember key signatures, repeats, DSs. BUT improvising actually
improved, apparently because I am no longer burdened with as many rules of theory
and because I remember fewer of my own "comfort zone" phrases. Maybe my brain is
built backwards from the theories.

Tom Loeb
<A HREF="www.hotsytotsyboys.com">www.hotsytotsyboys.com</A>