[Dixielandjazz] A little diplomacy please

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Wed Sep 10 14:18:57 PDT 2003

In a message dated 9/10/03 1:23:49 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
stridepiano at tesco.net writes:

> Culture comes in many different guises, one size does not fit all. Does Tom
> really think that a nation without similar social structures, behavioral
> patterns, artistic leanings and economic wherewithal to those existing in
> USA is culturally
> lacking? I hope not.
>
> Vive le (or is it la?) difference.

Dear John & All:

Once again my esteemed friend from the UK has misinterpreted my meaning, it
is indeed a damned shame that the USA and the UK are only separated by a common
language, my statement about some countries being thirty years behind in
culture, certainly was not from an arrogant or braggart mentality.  Anyone who
knows me at all knows better than that.

To attempt to explain myself to my English speaking cousins, I was trying to
say that in many countries their culture has not yet been exposed to some of
the things that we take for absolute granted in our culture.  Many of those
wonderful countries have fascinating culture of their own which I whole heatedly
embrace and feel privileged to be able to visit them and share ours with them
and absorb as much of theirs as I can.

When I am speaking of culture here I am relating it strictly to my
experiences with American Music, particularly Black American Gospel, Blues and Jazz
which when presented in the styles of the 1920s 30s,40s,and 50s, garners much more
appreciation from audiences in general than many of the most modern forms of
Jazz, Hip Hop, Rap and such.  In the countries that I have traveled to they
like and enjoy the older forms of American Music better than the new and are
often slow to embrace our artists new ideas about music in the general public.

   OKOM has never failed in my experience to light up faces of people in any
country I have been fortunate enough to play it.  It is indeed a common
denominator to unite at least for a while many diverse cultures and allow folks to
celebrate something and feel good no matter what economic status they come from
or how well they are educated.  Music is the International Language
thankfully.

I believe that this is mostly possible because so many radio programmers and
record collectors around the world are doing what more of us in America should
be doing for this music, playing it on the air waves and promoting it to the
general public.  Couple this with the fact that most Traditional Jazz & Blues
recordings are now owned by German and French, UK, Dutch and Japanese Record
labels it should be quite obvious what I meant.
Many of them have done more to promote American Music Culture than America
has, Bless Them, and I would be the first one to thank them for doing so.

I have said it before and will continue to say it as long as I am around,
American Jazz is considered by most folks around the world to be our countries
ONLY contribution to World Culture, which is not a bad thing to be recognized
for.

Certainly better than the culture of Taxation which we acquired from our
British cousins who perfected it, and somehow can't seem to stop it, now that in
my opinion is the epitome in arrogance, so let's all revolt and refuse to pay
taxes on OKOM CDs. and music:   :)

And even my friend John will drink to that I am sure, even if he has to drive
over to France to buy cheaper Scottish Whiskey without the high tax for the
privilege of buying it at home.  I tried to buy some "DUTY FREE" in London the
last time I passed through, and discovered I could buy the same thing here for
$10.00 a bottle less even after paying the high tax on it.  :)

I asked the sales clerk how the heck British folks could even afford to
drink, to which she replied, that they mostly slip through the chunnel now and go
over to France to shop for the weekend load up the storage compartment of the
car and come home.  >)

I learned years ago to order Doubles on the transatlantic flights so I could
avoid having to buy libations in London.  :)

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins