[Dixielandjazz] Culture?

Robert S. Ringwald ringwald at calweb.com
Wed Sep 10 09:39:13 PDT 2003

Not sure if Tom really meant what he said.  Or, possibly used the wrong
words.

When I was in Australia in the mid 80s, I was amazed to see how many OKOM
bands were working 6 nights a week in Sydney.  I thought to myself that it
was like the States in the 50s.  I understand this is no longer the case.
Few, if any bands working 6 nights a week any more.

In the UK, I also was surprised to see the eclectic mix of songs on the juke
boxes or background music.  You'd hear a OKOM tune mixed in with all the
other pop tunes.

In the States, you haven't heard that sort of thing for 50 years.

OKOM has all but disappeared from the radio in the states.  I know it is
happening in other countries, but behind us.  I don't believe I'd call that
"culture."

Bob
mr.wonderful at ringwald.com
Placerville, CA, USA, Earth, Sol's System, Milky Way
Amateur (ham) Radio Station K6YBV
Fulton Street Jazz Band
See: http://www.ringwald.com
Boondockers Jazz & Comedy Band