[Dixielandjazz] First Posting

Harold Smith s3856lpa at webtv.net
Thu Sep 4 07:59:32 PDT 2003

My name is Harold Smith, and I'm here at the suggestion of Mr. Jim
Beebe, whom I'm sure you all know.

I play clarinet and some questionably poor piano, and, although  my
musical expression is rooted in the Swing era, I have a healthy respect
for Dixieland and Hot Jazz.  I might add that I have a healthy
DISrespect for what contemporary
pop music and contemporary Jazz has become.  There's not much comfort in
reminding myself that good, tasty, Jazz and great standard tunes were
once the mainstream of America's musical life.

l'm going to enjoy reading all of your postings,  and I may even make a
comment or two myself.  I look forward not only to an interesting
participation, but also to picking up sme much needed education.

Regards to all==Harold