[Dixielandjazz] Re: Ted Lewis & Woody Herman

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 31 09:07:05 PST 2003

> "Mike Durham" <mikedurham_jazz at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> Oh, say! That's Ted Lewis, not Louis. The man of whom Eddie Condon said "He
> can really make the clarinet talk: it says 'for God's sake, put me back in
> the case!'"
>
> Yes, Sir!

Can't think of his name, but Woody Herman had a fantastic arranger for much of his
band work. But Woody as a clarinet player was often disparaged by band mates and
comtemporaries. One said (or it might have been Condon) as they were following him
down the street; "There, but for (insert arranger name here) goes Ted Lewis."

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

PS. As a hack clarinetist myself, I get a kick out of the discussion about Woody
Allen. While I understand what he does, if I want to listen to "New Orleans"
clarinetists, I put on records by the sources, not the copycats. For me, everything
he does has been done better by the likes of Albert Nicholas, Sidney Bechet, Alphonse
Picou, George Lewis, Albert Burbank and many others so why waste time listening?
Regarding "Wild Man Blues" I did watch it in hopes that something regarding OKOM
might be worthwhile, however to me it was a boring movie and painful to watch. Thank
goodness Cynthia was in it. At least she was pleasant to watch. Just a personal
opinion.