[Dixielandjazz] Woody Allen again

Mike Durham mikedurham_jazz at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 31 11:33:04 PST 2003

The Wild Man Blues film shows Allen to be a somewhat unattractive
personality (cold and distant towards the other musicians, tries to buy
historic clarinet from Selmer's museum, etc., etc.) but I guess we should
separate this from his playing, which is (in my view, anyway) perfectly
adequate and appropriate within his chosen style. At least he gets some
visibility for this aspect of OKOM! Incidentally, I seem to recall reading
somewhere (Traditionalists & Revivalists In Jazz, by Chuck De Faa???) that
Woody told his then banjoist, Eddie Davis, to stop playing the same chords
as the piano player, since this just didn't sound like real New Orleans
jazz. Hmmm......

MikeD