[Dixielandjazz] New Orleans Jazz Club Broadcasts

George Thurmond gmthur at delrio.com
Fri Oct 31 01:42:14 PST 2003

        A million kudos to you Rebecca for posting the link to the old NOJC
broadcasts on WWL.  I just finished listening to a couple of them and it
sure brought back memories of those Sunday nites back in the '50s when I'd
let nothing interfere with that hour when we first got the 30 minutes jazz
from the Parisian Room on Royal (Tony Almerico and the boys, with Dick
Martin and his wonderful voice MCing), and then on would come the Club's
theme of "Congo Square" by Johnny Wiggs band.  I'd even make notes in the
margins  in my "New Hot Jazz Discography" book by Charles Delaunay of the
records being played.  These two programs probably did more to cultivate my
interest in jazz than any factor, other than my trips back then to NO to
hear the real stuff first hand.

        These programs show me that there are no jazz musicians like those
from NO who played and recorded back in the 50s and 60s.

        And tell that drummer husband of yours to listen to the Ray Bauduc
program, for a few examples of why I consider him to be the best and
nonpareil!

George Thurmond