[Dixielandjazz] Keys (trombone)

Bryan Livett livett at rogers.com
Fri Oct 24 07:07:19 PDT 2003

Yo Jimbo:  Most of my playing these days is with a small trombone-led jazz
group playing standards and is heavy on vocals..... I transpose the charts
to keys I can sing AND play the trombone on: (think "Embraceable You" in Bb,
"I Can't Get Started" in Eb, "Night and Day" in F) but also includes many
"original key" tunes in G, C and Db, even D ("Wave").

When I played in a blues band most of the tunes were in "guitar" keys and I
had to get around in A, E, D, G and C.  Like most trombonists I drew the
line at B... I think only Frank Rosolino would call a tune in B.  So
consequently I became familiar and comfortable with those keys.
Incidentally, I had a Holton Superbone for a while and I found it to be very
useful since it has valves AND a slide; hold down the first valve and play
in Bb with the slide and, viola, you're playing in A, etc.

Cheers

Bryan