[Dixielandjazz] Re: More on Muggsy SPANIER

Jim Beebe jbeebe at centurytel.net
Wed Oct 22 11:30:26 PDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: <TBW504 at aol.com>
To: <luda at arnet.com.ar>
Cc: <dixielandjazz at ml.islandnet.com>
Sent: Wednesday, October 22, 2003 5:10 AM
Subject: [Dixielandjazz] Re: SPANIER

> Muggsy's last recording?  according to Tom Lord the last formal recording
of
> Muggsy was in July1964 at the Newport Jazz Festival, although there are
tapes
> in circulation of a tv programme featuring a band led by him in Nov. '64.
The
> excellent book published byJazzology, "Muggsy Spanier: The Lonesome Road",
by
> Bert Whyatt is highly recommended and includes a CD of rare Muggsy tracks.
> Brian Wood.

Do you know about the recent ( a few years ago) reissue of rare Jazz
Ltd.recordings on Delmark?
Muggsy is on two great tunes that includes a swinging 'Washington & Lee
Swing"  Also on this reissue is (are) some great Miff Mole and Doc
Evans...plus Don Ewell.  I had the pleasure or writing the liner notes.

Jim Beebe