[Dixielandjazz] Re: Bill Bailey was Maybe Dr. Jazz was the Sheik of Araby?

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 22 21:28:29 PDT 2003

lswain at penrose.com wrote: (polite snip)

> On 22 Oct 2003 at 9:13, Stephen Barbone wrote: (snip)
>
> All tunes are "Bill Bailey" in one key or another, no?

To which Larry Swain replied

> "Bill Bailey".  Of course!  To think that I have been wasting my time
> all these years trying to figure out all those other chords!
> Now I just have to learn
> to play "Bill Bailey" in many different keys.  Or change the speed
> and pitch of tapes, records, and CDs so everything comes out in C.

Larry & Listmates:

Here are tunes I can think of that use the 32 bar Bill Bailey chords, or
almost all of them in the same sequence. Some are Pop, Country & Western
etc. Can you add more? There must be more. Chose you own keys. ;-) VBG

If you can play these plus "Lush Life" you've got a full book. ;-) VBG

Cheers,
Steve

Won't You Come Home Bill Bailey
Tiger Rag ("hold that tiger" strain)
Milenberg Joys (two strains)
Washington and Lee Swing
  (also recorded earlier as Louisana Swing and The Swing)
Slide, Frog, Slide (second strain)
The Second Line
Bourbon Street Parade
Down in New Orleans
Good Old Days at a New Orleans Soiree
I'll Take That New Orleans Music
March of the Charcoal Greys
Under the Double Eagle
March of the Hoodlums (third strain)
Parade of the Pieces
Parade of the Wooden Soldiers
Creole Rag
339 Rag
Market Street Stomp
Polka Dot Stomp (first strain, modified)
Memphis Stomp
Stockyard Strut
Ancient Bottle Strut
Over the Waves
Cirrabirrabin
Moonlight and Roses
Oh How I Miss You Tonight
Amapola (pretty little poppy)
Hey, Engineer is This Train Going South
Fireworks (first strain)
Louisville Special
Vine Street Drag
Hindustan (modified by flat 6th chord in bars 27 and 28)
Trudy
Sittin' In (Chu Berry and Roy Eldridge recording)
Boys From Harlem
Daybreak Express
Just Because
Mexicali Rose
Clink, Clink, Another Drink
Beer Barrel Polka ("roll out the barrel" strain)
Teddy Bears Picnic (one strain)
Could Be
I've Got My Eyes On You
Walk Right Back
Allez Vous En
I Love You and Don't You Forget It
Boot To Boot (modified by adding bridge of about 10 bars)
Move the Body Over (modified by adding bridge of about 10 bars