[Dixielandjazz] Nick LaRocca documentary -- can you help?

lswain at penrose.com lswain at penrose.com
Wed Oct 22 19:59:48 PDT 2003

Listmates:

Can you help my friend Prof. Richard Bonanno with information --
volunteers, names and contact info for people you think he should
contact, etc.?

The project sounds like a truly interesting one, and is in the spirit
of helping college folks and others to get closer to OKOM.

Rich writes:

    I am Assistant Professor of Italian at Assumption College in
    Worcester, MA and the director of an independent media team
    conducting preliminary research for the production of a documentary
    dealing with the story of Nick LaRocca of the ODJB.

    We seek to reevaluate his position in history and to define the role
    of both Nick LaRocca and other New Orleans Italian-American musicians
    in the development of jazz.

    Critics have recently pointed to a strong influence of Italian-
    Americans on the development of jazz. There were clearly many
    Italian-American musicians playing in New Orleans during the decades
    both before and after the turn of the century, and we seek to explore
    the specific impact of their musical traditions.

    The media team seeks scholarly advice from researchers (jazz
    historians and musicologists specifically) during the planning stage
    of the documentary.

Please contact Rich directly at rbonanno at eve.assumption.edu.

I'd appreciate a copy of anything you might send -- at
lswain at penrose.com -- although this is not essential.

Larry Swain

L. R. Swain
Penrose, Inc.