[Dixielandjazz] Dr Jazz key.

Brian Towers briantowers at msn.com
Wed Oct 22 15:25:05 PDT 2003

Butch makes a great point - Jelly Roll Morton played this in the key of Db with his Red Hot Peppers.   This is significent because it is the definitive version of the tune - in other words, had Morton not recorded his memorable version, nobody would be playing "Dr Jazz".  Nobody would  have heard of it!
The composer  himself "King Joe Oliver" did not record this, to my knowledge or if he did, it did not make the impression of Jelly Roll Morton's smash hit.

Nevertheless (what a useful word!)  I play Dr Jazz in Eb, like most other bands.  A lot of us do not enjoy playing in Db - it is not a sweet key for trombonists!   Also Eb is a great key for singing, for many of us.

I tried playing "Love Songs of the Nile" in Db for ages  (as per the definitive recording) but quickly switched it to "C" when our trumpet player left the band and I had to lead the melody on trombone!

Nice key to listen to but for me as a trombonist, not a comfortable one to play in.

Cheers,
Brian Towers
Hot Five Jazzmakers,
Toronto