[Dixielandjazz] Cell Block 7

PJ Ladd pj.ladd at btopenworld.com
Tue Oct 21 12:14:27 PDT 2003

Hi John and list,
A great night with Cell Block 7 and the DJML jazz bands first, and probably
only, outing.
Also on display for the benefit of the photographers present was my DJML
shirt, probably the only one in the UK.
I ordered this very useful grey shirt when I first joined the list under the
impression that it had a tasteful small badge displayed upon the breast
pocket. But no! It has a badge about a foot across, in glorious technicolour
imprinted between the shoulder blades and I have never worked up enough
nerve to wear it in public.
Tonight it came into its own. Draped across a music stand it made a great
advertising poster which could be read at 50 paces.
Like you John I did not get the name of the banjo player who played the duet
with Kurt Abel but I understand he plays with Pete Allen. He was first on
his feet applauding Kurts `Over the Rainbow` medley.
For the benefit of the list the complete line up for the band was Kurt, Bill
Gunter, Bob Romans, Tony, Judie, John Farrel, myself and Andy Ling.
 I had not met Andy before in spite of him living fairly locally.
It was great being able to put faces to names.
Thanks to Tony and Judie for putting it all together and thanks to Cell
Block 7 for such an entertaining evening.

Cheers

Pat