[Dixielandjazz] The Lowdown on Mister Boyd

BoGanglesBobbin at aol.com BoGanglesBobbin at aol.com
Mon Oct 20 16:36:41 PDT 2003

Hello Folks!

    This is Brett! I've gotten so many kind and supportive emails from so
many of you lately and I would like to thank them now: Academy of Motion Pictures
and Sciences (ha ha ha), Bill Gunter, Nancy, Meg & Big George, Dave the
moderator and anyone who I'm forgetting.

    I figured since many of you do not know who I am, I figure that I should
at least explain who I am and what I do and why I decided to join the DJML.

    I am a 17 year old trumpet player-banjo player-singer-pianist-composer
and co-lead a great New Orleans jazz style band with my very good friend, Paul
Scott who is also a member of the DJML. Let me give you the lowdown on how I
got into this music!!!!:

    My Grandfather, Chap Boyd, used to play trombone with many big bands such
as the Sammy Kaye Orchestra and at one time one of Ted Lewis' bands. In his
later years, when I was a wee little man, he would invite me to the rehearsals
of a small time local banjo band called "JUSTA BUNCHA BANJOS". As a wee little
man I loved the rhythm that 25+ banjos could create and I remember not being
able to keep my feet still. I also remember almost every person in that banjo
band smiling and really enjoying themselves everytime I was there.
Unfortunately in 1996, my Grandfather passed away from Lung Cancer. I was so saddened to
think that there would be no more Wednesday nights where I could let all my
cares go and listen to that ol' banjo band.

    However years passed, I turned 14 and decided one morning, "I've Got To
new rehearsal location. I attended a rehearsal and found my self floored
again by that never-forgotten 2-beat music. So many of the people in the band
offered lessons, except the most exceptional banjoist there offered them to me, at
no cost. I will not mention his name because I don't have his permission so
until then, we can call him "MIKE". Well for roughly 2 years I had taken
lessons on tenor banjo from Mike and he taught me just about everything I needed to
know to play banjo with any dixieland band around. The best part about it was
that I loved it, I felt the rhythm and I wanted to contribute a swingin'
quality to whatever group I was playing with.

    Then after 2 years of being in the banjo band I landed a spot playing
banjo all the time with Bob Leive's incredible Wooster St. Trolley Band. What a
thrill that was for me. I was basically given the chance to start with the
pro's by getting that opportunity to play in Bob Leive's band. But after the first
night when I heard Bob Leive play trumpet, which is something I wish everyone
could have heard, I said "Banjo is nice, but trumpet is nicer". I just had
this overwhelming passion for trumpet every since. Ever since then I've been
continuing to puruse my goal of being a trumpet player (self taught), and
entertainer. I've been so lucky to work with the people I have so far and have gone
so far in such little time.

    Since the days of Wooster St. I have been able to form a band with the
very talented Paul Scott, who is the tuba and string bass player for our group
THE NEW CELEBRATION JAZZ BAND. He will frequently play drums with our group but
mainly plays tuba and string bass. I've learned many of my entertaining
skills from Mr. Leive and still have so far to go. I've found that my one goal in
playing music, whatever kind, is to PLEASE THE AUDIENCE, that's all I care
about. I wouldn't care if the club, theatre, restaurant I would play ripped me
off, as long as the people enjoyed themselves.

    The thing I love about my group, The New Celebration Jazz Band, is that
we don't only play dixieland. My goodness we play Roy Orbison, Liza Minnelli,
plus lots of standards from the 50's and 60's. Of course we specialize in New
Orleans jazz but like I've said, we like to please the audience. That reminds
me, those of you who have not heard LIZA MINNELLI's newest album "LIZA'S BACK"
your missing out. She has made such a triumphant return to the stage and you
must get her cd. She is truly marvelous...too marvelous for words. You have to
hear it to believe it!

    I don't want to ramble on and upset people with long messages like this
but unfortunately I cannot as of yet describe my playing experience in less
than 3 paragraphs....and there's more I haven't told you yet about the places
I've played such as The Today Show on NBC, CBS and more! I hope this is a help to
those of you who don't know me well. I've probably told a little too much but
who cares---so who cares....so what! If anyone has any questions feel free to
email me at NEWCELEBRATIONJB at AOL.COM---or for more information on my band
please visit www.geocities.com/newcelebrationjazzband

THANK YOU ALL=========================Brett Boyd

                    LIVE * LOVE * LAUGH