[Dixielandjazz] Jim Beebe vs. Lee Wiley

john petters jpettjazz at btinternet.com
Mon Oct 20 11:37:22 PDT 2003

Jim said>
>   well, you see...I haven't heard those particular recordings and so I
will
> rescind my
> judgement.  Lee Wiley on 'Come Sunday'.  What recording is this on?

Come Sunday is on Lee Wiley at Carnegie Hall 1972, which also has some
rehearsal sides from 1952. This is on Geo Bucks Audiofile label ACD-170
Down with Love is on Lee Wiley Sings Rogers & Hart & Arlen  on ACD -10

Lee was doing the songbooks about 15 years before Ella and to my ears she
has more warmth and emotion than Ella. There is no scat - just a good
reading of the songs with wonderful jazz time. She belongs alongside Conee
Boswell and Mildred Bailey in my book. Dig 'em out Jim.
Keep swinging

John Petters
Amateur Radio Station G3YPZ
www.traditional-jazz.com