FW: [Dixielandjazz] Jazz and Flamenco

James Kashishian kash at ran.es
Sun Oct 19 14:24:05 PDT 2003

Steve mentioned the trumpeter Jerry Gonzalez:

>All Mr. Gonzalez knew of Spanish music at that point was "Sketches of
>Spain," the Miles Davis-Gil Evans record from 1960, and the
>collaborations between the great flamenco singer Camarón de la Isla and
>the guitarist Paco de Lucía.

Following Miles' efforts on the above recording, Spanish Tenor
Saxophonist Pedro Iturralde recorded an album called "Jazz Flamenco".  I
performed a number of the songs with Pedro in the years after in live
concerts/club dates.  It is a "curious blend" to say the least.  "Anda,
Jaleo" is probably the best cut from the album.  Many years later,
another Spanish sax & flautist, who always plays with Paco de Lucia,
recorded in this vein, also.  People are constantly trying to make a
connection with Flamenco (remember the Irish dance craze which had a
Flamenco dancer & Irish dancer together?).  I never get the feeling that
either side gets full attention, and you end up with two halves rather
than a whole.  Miles & Evans was the best effort, I think, as they
seemed to have created a general "mood" throughout the record, rather
than try to create a new "mode".

>In 2000 Mr. Trueba made "Calle 54," a stylish documentary on Latin
Jazz,......

Fernando Trueba has recently opened a jazz dinner club (Calle 54) right
next door to our Tues nite gig!  Fancy joint.  Cover charge is at least
$20 with no drink included.  Jam packed with movie people.  All Latin
Jazz.  Our drummer did two weeks there with a singer (she's a movie
producer's daughter!!).   We'll have to add some latin fx to our sound
if we wish to get a gig there, I fear!  Anyway, our Tues niter is
forever.....and, we haven't lost a sole to the folks next door.   :>

Cheers,  Jim