[Dixielandjazz] Jim Beebe vs. Lee Wiley

Jim Beebe jbeebe at centurytel.net
Sat Oct 18 16:45:00 PDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Harold Smith" <s3856lpa at webtv.net>

> Jim, your posting on Rod Stewart's getting into the great standards,
> better paraphrased as his ascfendancy into hell, left me in wonderment
> over your comments on Lee Wiley.
>
> I don't portend to expertise on her specific
> technical failings as a vocalist.  I do enjoy her approach, her
> expression, her New York attitude.  And,anyone who tied with Jess Stacy
> can't be all bad.

Lee Wiley has been a sacred icon for far too long.  Yes, she did a few nice
things...helped along, as I said, considerably by the prescence of Bobby
Hackett, Jack Teagarden and others. But then, I am getting on and crotchety.
If I were younger and sipping a few with the Hi-Fi on, with one of Lee's
records, my comments might well be much warmer.

Jim B