[Dixielandjazz] flying with your instrument

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Sat Oct 18 13:30:31 PDT 2003

In a message dated 10/18/03 2:56:01 AM Pacific Daylight Time, kash at ran.es
writes:

> Has anyone heard of AVO6100-19?
>
> "All musical instruments are permitted on flights after proper
> screening, in addition to carry-on bags.  If the TSA security people
> give you a hard time about this, you can politely tell them that AVO
> Directive 6100-19 clearly allows you to carry on your instrument.  We
> emphasize 'politely' because you may find that your instrument may get
> on board, but you won't."
>
> Jim

Hi Jim:

I have not heard of the directive specifically by that name and number, but I
have heard that we can indeed get "Polite " permission to pass with them, so
it seems to reason that there is indeed such a provision.  To be on the safe
side I would certainly try to obtain a written copy of the directive and carry
it in my instrument cases for emergency purposes.  I would never trust the
security folks word about this matter as they simply are probably not even
trained with any knowledge of this directive in the first place.

Therefore I would investigate it thoroughly with the airline before buying my
tickets for sure.

We had no problem with the normal instruments last year, Bones, and Trumpets
and Sax's, pretty much have to comply with the fits through the scanner thing,
but they will and do inspect some items by hand, so the key word here is
"Polite" because getting an attitude and hostile orally with a security person at
an airport today is just asking for big trouble.

Kill them with kindness, they do have a crappy job but they or whoever works
above them do have our safety in mind in these troubled times.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins