[Dixielandjazz] Copyright

Rev M J (Mike) Logsdon mjl at ix.netcom.com
Fri Oct 17 09:42:26 PDT 2003

>>>My understanding of the U.S. Copyright law was that private
taping (or CDs) of recordings you OWNED was perfectly legal for your own use....
If someone knows this to be incorrect, please let us know and cite some
sources.<<<

There is no way you could be incorrect.  Your statement of the situation is accurate.  It is true that, strictly speaking, any unauthorised copy is a copy that is not authorised, but if the leap to calling such an act an outright crime is made, there would never, NEVER have been a blank media industry.  Ever.

The claimers otherwise either know this and willingly confess to having committed said crime at some point in their lives, OR (ahem) we have Saints in our midst.  In the event of the latter, I'll be the official DJML Liaison with Rome for canonisation purposes,

--
Etc,

Rev M J "Mike" Logsdon, Deacon
http://www.naorc.org