[Dixielandjazz] Copyright

Bigbuttbnd at aol.com Bigbuttbnd at aol.com
Fri Oct 17 11:39:10 PDT 2003

In a message dated 10/16/03 9:57:42 PM, philor at webone.com.au writes:

<< Yes Mike, copying an LP to tape to play in your car is a breach of

copyright, which like so many stupid laws are ignored unles the bastards

want to get you. Making a CD from your own LP to play in your car/other room

etc. is as much a breach of copyright as making them for sale. >>

I'm confused. My understanding of the U.S. Copyright law was that private
taping (or CDs) of recordings you OWNED was perfectly legal for your own use. In
fact, some of the profits from blank video tape and audio tape (and perhaps
CDs) are folded back to the RIAA or ASCAP or BMI or whomever to offset whatever
perceived losses private taping might convey upon recording artists. There was
a big joke for many years that the big artists like Michael Jackson, Whitney
Houston and Madonna would end up collecting royalties from the sales of blank
media that people bought to record themselves in their little home studios!
The basis of the legitimacy of VCRs is that private taping of copyright material
for home use, either for archival or time shifting, is perfectly legal. My
fading memory seems to remember the same argument being applied to audio
recordings and ruled legitimate by the U.S. courts. In fact, I've NEVER heard any
suggestion that duplication of copyright material that you already own is any
breach of U.S. Copyright law. (Of course, SELLING that material while keeping the
original is obviously a no-no!)

If someone knows this to be incorrect, please let us know and cite some
sources.

thanks,

Rocky Ball
Atlanta