[Dixielandjazz] Re: Royalties

Jim Beebe jbeebe at centurytel.net
Thu Oct 16 23:06:50 PDT 2003

I must say that I don't know of any musician who has ever received any
royalties from any record company except the major ones.  I don't know how
many Jazzology recordings I'm on but I have never received any royalties
except for a small check years ago from RCA for some recordings I was on
with Bob Scboey.  I've gotten paid in money or copies but no royalties.  One
reason that Buck and others have been able to survive is that they don't pay
any royalties.  They don't sell enough recordings to bother with royalties.
I 'm talking about royalties to musicians.  They may have to make a deal
with the songwriters groups, ASCAP and BMI but there the royalties would be
minimal because of the low sales.

Usually when dealing with  small jazz recording companies your make a deal
for some money upfront...enough to pay for the record studio and the
musicians.  The company pays for the album covers, liner notes and printing
up the CDs.  Often as not instead of money, the company pays off in albums.
You might  get several hundred albums which ( if you are the leader) you can
sell and pay yourself and the musicians off.  After that the musicians can
buy copies at distributors cost and sell them on the job.

CDs, essentially, are a PR item and/or an ego item.

Royalties for the most part are just part of the legend.

Jim Beebe