[Dixielandjazz] Copyright

Phil O'Rourke philor at webone.com.au
Fri Oct 17 14:00:00 PDT 2003

While we have recently been telling Bud how remiss we think he is with
copyright etc. with LPs & CDs people are still asking for sheet music.
Every time we give a person a copy of chords or dots for a piece of music we
are in breach of copyright (in most cases). The composer/arranger copyright
is breached more often than the copying of OKOM music to tape/CD/anything.
Yes Mike, copying an LP to tape to play in your car is a breach of
copyright, which like so many stupid laws are ignored unles the bastards
want to get you. Making a CD from your own LP to play in your car/other room
etc. is as much a breach of copyright as making them for sale.
I think the majority of us will accept the fact that we make a CD from a LP
for ourselves being OK.
I know it is illegal to make CDs from LPs for other people (using their own
LPs) even if the LP will never be issued on CD. This is a silly bit of
copyright but the companies use the logic that they may reissue one day
(over the rainbow).
I suppose, basically, what I am trying to say is that we have all (99.9%)
breached copyright at some time or other. If I buy a piece of 9 year old
music from Italy (if there has been no change the copyright is 5 years)
legally and bring it home where the copyright is 50 years am I in breach of
copyright?

Basically, copyright worldwide is a quagmire but please leave the small
speciality labels alone. The George Buck, Bob Erdos, Neville Shreburn
(Swaggie) etc labels. They are the ones that are keeping our music alive.
Columbia bought the "Complete Hot Fives & Sevens" out on CD and they went
into mainstream shops but the quality wasn't all that good especially when
they had the masters to work from. John R.T. Davies remasterd them for JSP
(I think) and that reissue is so much better than the Columbia. The little
guy does it for love.

Phil O'Rourke
Australia