[Dixielandjazz] Sitting In / learning

Richard Broadie richard.broadie at gte.net
Tue Oct 14 14:21:31 PDT 2003

In the 1960s we had jazz clubs such as the Southern California Hot Jazz
Society, The New Orleans Jazz Club of Southern California, The Valley Jazz
Club and the Society for the Preservation of Dixieland Jazz where many of us
cut our teeth and got to play with some of the best pros in the business.
Since the format was that of jam session, open sit-ins were the rule rather
than the exception.  When a person proved his or her worth at the jam
sessions, many gigs followed where you were hired to perform with the
players you met at the Sunday jam sessions.

I know the above mentioned clubs and likely others are still in existence in
the So. Cal area.  I know there are many such clubs elsewhere that encourage
jam sessions for learning and fun.  Perhaps this is where we should take the
above thread in our discussions.

Dick Broadie