[Dixielandjazz] Street bands & sit ins

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Tue Oct 14 01:39:38 PDT 2003

In a message dated 10/13/03 3:22:13 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
jazzmin at actcom.net.il writes:

> I've learned a good line to keep people from trying to play my horns. I
> tell them if they keep their mouths off my mouthpieces, I
> won't kiss their girlfriend/wife. They usually get the idea.
>
> Anyone have any good ideas about handling drunks, beggars or other unsavory
> characters, especially in public venues where you don't
> have a lot more right than they do to be there? I would rather let the
> police handle it, but they don't. Sometimes they watch this
> sort of thing happen to us and don't intervene!
>
> Elazar
> Ministry of Jazz
> Doctor Jazz Band
> Jerusalem, Israel
> <www.israel.net/ministry-of-jazz>
> Tel: +972-2-679-2537

Elazar you seem to have it pretty well under control, not much you can do
except stop if the Police won't intervene, the audience will understand, even if
the drunk does not, for the moment anyway, I learned a long time ago that you
simply "cannot Reason with Alcohol" no matter how long or hard you try, it has
to wear off.

We try to humor them a bit but not enough to encourage them to become even
more obnoxious, it is also impossible to embarrass them into leaving.

Remember "Everyone wants to be in Show Business," especially when they can
"get Drunk and Be Somebody."

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins