[Dixielandjazz] Welcome Michel from Burgundy

BRIAN TOWERS briantowers at msn.com
Mon Oct 6 19:18:31 PDT 2003

Hello everybody !

My presentation will be short but I don't write the English language
very well.  Sorry.

>I have been registered in DJML for a few days only.  I like the exchanges
>on the ML in connection with OKOM but also to improve my English!
My name is Michel Miconnet. I'm 56 years old.  I live in Burgundy
(France). I had stopped playing to clarinet and saxophone (ts & ss) 35
years ago, to devote me to my work.  I took again last year in the music
school in my city with a qualified teacher and I play in the "jazz
workshop".  I like listen to traditional jazz (New Orleans, Dixieland,
Ragtime, Swing...). My dream to play with an 'old style' jazz band.
While waiting I try to join jam-sessions for the pleasure...
>I also interest in the jazz history.
>Mic

Hello Michel,

Here's welcoming you to the DJML.  We used to have more contributors from
France but they have dropped out over the years, it will be good to have
your input.  Please do not worry about grammar, spelling etc.  While this
list originated in North America, it has grown to be International and we
have contributors from many countries and we are happy to hear their news
and views, regardless of the spelling. I am sure your English is ten times
better than my French!
I am originally from England but have been Canadian since 1969.

France is an amazing country for the number of high class reed players,
especially the saxophones.  I guess it was the influence of Bechet, from
when he lived in Paris and his Frrench disciples, Claud Luter etc etc.  Some
of my favourite bands are from France, for example  "Paris Washboard" "Hot
Antic". Charquet and Co was a terrific outfit and the Anachronic were
superb.  A shame the two latter bands are no longer performing.
Clarinet/soprano Jacques Gauthe, who now lives in New Orleans, is a personal
friend of mine.  What a player he is!  He was originally from Gascony.  The
last time he played with my band was at the Marciac Festival in SW France,
about three years ago.  When I visit New Orleans he usually lets me sit in
with his band - a reral gentleman!

Regards,
Brian Towers
trombone/leader The Hot Five Jazzmakers