[Dixielandjazz] Chet Baker scats

Jim Beebe jbeebe at centurytel.net
Mon Oct 6 01:46:50 PDT 2003

I happened to hear a Chet Baker recording on the radio last night.  From a live performance Chet was doing a very uptempo "But not for me."   He went into some scat choruses that were very impressive.  His vocalese lines were very sophisticated, very modern, yet very musical and technically astounding.  His timing, rhythm and pitch were impeccable.  Chet ended his scat choruses soaring up to a high Eb, almost a falsetto.  I've always liked Chet but I have a new respect for him.

Jim Beebe