[Dixielandjazz] Yellow Dog

Mike Durham mikedurham_jazz at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 5 18:52:25 PDT 2003

In answer to Stan Brager's queries, I can clear up a couple. "The smoke was
broke" simply means "The black man had no money", as confirmed by the line
"Not a jitney on him" - a jitney was 20's slang for a nickel. As to "Every
kitchen is a cabaret" etc., this is also pretty simple, I think - it
probably means (ironically) that this is a kind of heaven for people of
colour, the kitchen where they work being transformed into a cabaret and the
boll weevils (which ruined many a cotton crop and caused great hardship to
sharecroppers) doing all the work, while they play. "Bam" is indeed Alabama,
as in "That Bam Bam Bammy Shore", just a further contraction of Alabam'. And
lastly, the Yellow Dog lyrics are an "answer" to an earlier blues song about
Miss Susan Johnson and her Jackie Lee, entitled "I Wonder Where My Easy
Rider's Gone Today?", according to the internet: try a google search on
Yellow Dog Blues, you'll find out more about early railroads than you ever
wanted to know!

Toot toot,

Mike D.