[Dixielandjazz] Jazz FM

Judy Eames jude at judyeames.co.uk
Sun Oct 5 14:14:10 PDT 2003

Hi Tom,

> Sounds like some of you guys in the know need to take a day off and go
over
> and pay those idiots a visit and give them some real education about Jazz,

The key to this is in Mike's comment that there were serious financial
problems.  This country is largely being run by children who don't seem to
believe that there's money to be made from the over fifties.  Despite, the
evidence that (most) older people here are healthier and wealthier than ever
before, advertising aimed at us seems to centre round stairlifts, motorised
scooters, shoes you wouldn't be seen dead in :-)  saving for your
grandchildren and the odd tapestry kit; vital though they are, they hardly
provide the advertising material on which to run a radio station.  Since
traditional jazz is seen as being for older people, it's consigned to the
margins.  I don't know how we can change perceptions, but we are not like
our grannies in outlook, health or appearance and we need to shout about it.

I could go on to give my views about charities with outdated names "Help the
Aged" and "Age Concern" but that might be off topic:-)

There I feel better now,

Jude