[Dixielandjazz] Re: Norman Field

Tony Davis tony at tony-davis.co.uk
Sun Oct 5 09:58:30 PDT 2003

Bill Haesler wrote:

> The ct/as/ts player, Norman Field, mentioned in my PS to the welcome to
Mike [Durham], is not a DJMLer.
> He is on a sister (brother?) jazz list - Jazz-Traditional-Swing-Mainstream

Norman *was* a DJMLer for a time.  The reason he left, as he explained it to
me, was that he would get home from a gig late at night, read something on the
list which moved him to respond, perhaps to correct (in typically forthright
fashion) a misconception or erroneous statement.  Then, on reading what he had
written in the cold light of the next morning, he would feel obliged to post
an apology for his intemperate language.  Actually I never saw anything in his
posts which any reasonable person could object to.  His knowledge (like Bill
H.'s) is encyclopoedic and his musicianship is exemplary.  He has a website at
www.normanfield.fsnet.co.uk , and I thoroughly recommend a visit (if you have
a couple of hours to spare :-)).

--
Tony Davis