[Dixielandjazz] Re: Yellow Dog Blues

Bill Haesler bhaesler at nsw.bigpond.net.au
Sun Oct 5 10:32:54 PDT 2003

Dear Stan and Jim,
Eric Townley ('Tell Your Story', Storyville Publications, 1976) says of "Yellow Dog Blues":
Nickname of the Yazoo Delta Railroad in Mississippi. The lyrics "Where the Southern cross the Yellow Dog" refers to the
town of Moorhead in Sunflower County where the Southern Railroad crosses the Yazoo Delta Railroad, the latter being part
of the Illinois Central Railroad."
There is a wealth of information regarding "Yellow Dog Blues" and its originals to be found by pulling up Google and
typing in: Yellow Dog Blues, WC Handy.
And similar permutations.
The results are far too extensive to include here.
Why not have a few hours of fun by following the links?
Some of the links in the Google entries have photographs and maps of the historic junction and one article has been able
to date it all.
I seem to recall that we DJMLers went through all this some years back.
It may be in the list archives. If we still have one.
Kind regards,
Bill.