[Dixielandjazz] Yellow Dog Blues

Mike Durham mikedurham_jazz at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 5 00:21:55 PDT 2003

Re the lyrics to this one: the Yellow Dog was a nickname for the Yazoo &
Delta RR, the Southern was the Southern RR and Moorhead, in Sunflower
County, Mississippi was the town where the two lines crossed - "where the
Southern cross the Yellow Dog". The Y&DRR is now part of the Illinois
Central, I believe. And an Easy Rider is defined in my Blues Dictionary as
'a sexually satisfying partner', also sometimes used to refer to the blues
singer's guitar (perhaps a reference to the curved body of that instrument).
So there you are. Now can someone come up with a definitive explanation of
'to get one's ashes hauled'? I know what it MEANS, but wonder what the
origin of the phrase can be!

Mike D.