[Dixielandjazz] Re: Genertor P{ower., was portable amps

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 4 16:49:55 PDT 2003

> "Kurt" <bowermastergroup at qwest.net>
>
> My Party Gras Dixieland band played a neighborhood party for an upscale
> housing development in a Des Moines suburb last week.  They wanted us to
> play in the middle of an open grassy park, about 3,000 feet from the nearest
> electrical outlet.
>
> Luckily, my bass player owns a great little Honda gas-powered generator that
> worked perfectly.  The Honda generator (about $600) is the perfect solution
> to bands wanting to perform where electricity is not available (such as in
> fields, on parade floats, etc.).  It is portable, very quiet and easy to
> use.  Just remember to fill the gas tank before the gig.

Kurt & List mates:

Yes, a small generator works miracles. Barbone Street did a 4th of July Concert complete
with Fireworks and 5000 people in attendance. I brought my Fender Passport 250 watt set
up "just in case". Well, it was the only system there and would be used to power the
computerized 25 minute firework display also. We too were in the middle of a large open
grassy field at least 1000 feet from any plugs.

The organizers did have a small portable generator, very quiet, full gas tank. We put it
behind a car and a small mound and ran 100 feet of cable to the band stand. Worked great
and we could barely hear it. Band carried, and the fireworks folks hooked up their
entire system to my Fender. They had music in their computer which cued the different
firings. Absolute awesome, especially at the end with Kate Smith singing "America The
Beautiful" cueing a totally awesome final display.

The generator? Rented from a local rental outlet.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone