[Dixielandjazz] Yellow Dog Blues

Stan Brager sbrager at socal.rr.com
Sat Oct 4 12:47:08 PDT 2003

Several days ago, I had the privilege to give a 2-hour class to a group of
college students on the subject of "The Evolution and Rise of Jazz". The
class covered the factors leading up to the creation of jazz around the late
1890's to just prior to the rise of Be-Bop.

One of the precursors to jazz was, of course, the blues. I played Bessie
Smith's version of W. C. Handy's "Yellow Dog Blues" and explained some of
the slang terms in the song.

I knew, for instance, what an "easy rider" was and the significance of
"where the Southern cross the Yellow Dog". Beyond that, not much more. I've
seen an analysis of the song somewhere but couldn't find it.

Does anyone have a list of the slang terms and their meanings? I intend to
make copies for the students.

Thanks;

Stan
Stan Brager